Suzdal is the pearl of the Golden Ring of Russia. Guide for tourists

XI Международный конкурс научно-исследовательских и творческих работ учащихся
Старт в науке

Suzdal is the pearl of the Golden Ring of Russia. Guide for tourists

Васильева В.Д. 1Лаврентьев М.К. 1
1Муниципальное бюджетное общеобразовательное учреждение "Средняя школа №1 города Суздаля"
Вавилова А.В. 1
1Муниципальное бюджетное общеобразовательное учреждение "Средняя школа №1 города Суздаля"
Автор работы награжден дипломом победителя III степени
Текст работы размещён без изображений и формул.
Полная версия работы доступна во вкладке "Файлы работы" в формате PDF

Introduction.

 

We live in a beautiful and small town - Suzdal. It's always full of tourists and we are proud of it, but we are going to support our beloved town by making this work and to show the classmates how we love our native town.

Aims, objectives and methods.

Aims: to raise awareness among tourists and people about the history and culture of our town, to share interesting information and facts about Suzdal and its sightseeings.

Objectives:

To find and revise the history of the main places of interest

To make town more attractive for people

To make a small pocket guide for foreign tourists. The results can be found in the appendix.

Methods:

Reading and studying literature on the topic

Visiting the places of interest

Searching the information on the Internet, leaflets, books etc.

The main part.

Someone and sometime said that Suzdal was the pearl of The Golden Ring of Russia. Who knows why? The answer is very simple... Have you ever seen Suzdal? If you have, you will never forget about it. Its ancient streets with small old openwork platbands, old-fashioned restaurants and cafes offering traditional Russian dishes in clay pots, old wooden bridges connecting the two banks of the river Kamenka, the place itself is steeped with antiquity.

The fact that Suzdal is surrounded by green forests and wide golden fields adds some magic to this place... The population is very small as well as the town - 10 thousand people. The town is one of the most visiting places of our country along with such cities as Moscow and St.Petersburg. Tourists from all over the world visit Suzdal at any time of the year. Of course, the unique atmosphere of ancient town attracts a lot of people there. Nobody knows when and how the town was founded, but the first mention dates back to 1024. In 2024 our town is preparing to celebrate the millennium since its foundation. And we dedicated this work to our beloved town and small homeland. We have decided to gather information about the history of Suzdal and its important sights and make a small guide for foreign tourists visiting our native town.

The Suzdal Kremlin.

The Suzdal Kremlin is not only the most important sightseeing of the town, it is its soul and heart. It is situated in the centre of Suzdal not far from the Trade Rows. The history of Kremlin dates back to the 10th century and then it was used for the princely residence. The Kremlin has preserved the earthen ramparts and moats of the ancient fortress, several churches and the ensemble of the Bishop's court with the ancient Nativity Cathedral. Every tourist is hurrying to see the blue domes with golden stars towering over the Nativity Cathedral. It is World Heritage Site. The cathedral is one of the eight White Monuments of Vladimir and Suzdal and one of the most complex monuments of Russian medieval architecture. It was originally constructed during the reign of Vladimir II Monomakh in the late 11th century. The cathedral is surrounded by a ring of earthen walls in an oxbow of Kamenka River. It is notable for being the first city cathedral not built for the exclusive use of the knyaz or his relatives. The cathedral contains the remains of a son of Yuri Dolgoruki, knyazes of the Shuisky family and others.

The Deposition of the Robe (Rizopolozhensky) monastery.

Not far from the Kremlin in the north part of the Suzdal is situated The Deposition of the Robe (Rizopolozhensky) monastery. The monastery is known for spiritual feats of Euphrosyne of Suzdal, thanks to whom the monastery, the only one in Suzdal, has survived after the capture and plunder of the city by the Mongol-Tatars in 1238.

The main temple of the monastery is the magnificent Cathedral of the Deposition of the Robe. It was built in the 16th century.

If you are going to visit this monastery enter there through the Holy Gate. It is the southern wall of the monastery. The gate is a masterpiece of Suzdal architecture. Long ago the gates were the ceremonial entrance into the monastery, so the architects made it very ornate and colorful.

The intersession (Pokrovsky) Convent.

The Intercession (Pokrovsky) Convent was founded in 1364, but from this initial period, practically nothing was preserved. All that has come down to our days, mainly refers to the first half of the 16th century and a later period.

The main temple of the monastery and at the same time a tomb for noble nuns was the Intercession (Pokrovsky) Cathedral. It is a majestic three-domed temple in the design of which the decorations of the white-stone Nativity Cathedral of the Suzdal Kremlin were used. The interior decoration of the temple was very ascetic: the floor was paved with black ceramic tiles, the walls were not painted. But the magnificent icons and artistic sewing made the interior exquisite.

The bell tower is connected to the cathedral with the gallery. It is a rare monument of the ancient Russian architecture dating back to 1515.The tent of the modern bell tower appeared at the end of the 17th century.

The original architecture of the cathedral is repeated in the Holy Gates, built, like other buildings of the monastery, commissioned by Basil III around 1518. It is a four-sided tower with two asymmetrical arched spans over which the gallery and the elegant three-headed gate-church of Annunciation rise. The decorations of the facades of the building resemble carving on wood, giving to its appearance a sincere simplicity and elegance.

The Museum of Wooden Architecture.

The Museum of Wooden Architecture keeps numerous examples of old wooden architecture and is considered to be a little corner of classical ancient Russia.The museum was founded in 1968 on the place of the former Dmitrievskiy monastery, the oldest one in Suzdal. The wooden constructions from all over the Vladimir region were brought to the museum. The buildings were actual constructions in which people lived and worked in.

The first building brought to the Museum was the Church of the Transfiguration dated the middle of the 18th century, which was previously located in the village of Kozlyatyev.

The second building brought to the museum was the Church of the Resurrection from the village Patakino dated 1756.

The two churches form an ensemble, which was common in Russia and is called a summer and winter church. The winter church, Church of the Transfiguration, was constructed from pine and by using nothing but an axe.

Church of the Resurrection, is intended for summer use, because it is not heated and doesn’t hold winter services.

Trading Rows.

Trading Rows in Suzdal were built between 1806 and 1811 between the River Kamenka and the square which became known as Torgovaya Ploschad (Trading Square). This sightseeing was constructed in the empire style and feature galleries with columns and a tall central gate. Originally the rows were filled by merchants' stalls but now they have been changed into separate shops or cafes. Many souvenir stalls and famous restaurant "Gostiny Dvor" are also set up here for tourists.

The restaurant is the oldest in Suzdal and is always full of tourists. You can try delicious food in clay pots there. The charm of the restaurant is that you are trying dishes in the atmosphere of ancient town in the centre of Suzdal.

Savior-Euthymius Monastery.

The largest monastery in Suzdal is the Savior-Euthymius Monastery, which is occasionally mistaken for the Suzdal Kremlin due to its large fortified walls. The monastery was founded in 1352 by Prince Boris Konstantinovich of Suzdal-Nizhny Novgorod. At those times it was a fortification. It was 12 towers adapted for fighting and storing ammunition. The total length of the walls was about 1400 m. The monastery was closed after the Revolution and briefly used to imprison political prisoners. In 1968 it was transferred to the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-Reserve, which still owns the monastery today. In 1992 the monastery was added to the UNESCO World Heritage as part of the White Monuments of Vladimir and Suzdal.

Conclusion.

People all over the world like travelling. They visit different countries and even continents. However, wherever people go, the native town is always in the inmost recesses of the heart.

Basing on our research we could say that Suzdal is significant in history of Russia. After the research we found out that it is very important to know the history of the homeland, to be proud of our ancient town, to take care of it.

According to it we confidently could say that we have achieved our aim. We described a lot of monuments of architecture, we understood that they must be protected. We have created small pocket guide for foreign tourists. They will love the town with its bright past and present.

There is a proverb in English - "Dry bread at home is better than roast meat abroad".

We urge you to love, appreciate and respect your own homeland.

References.

1. "Vladimir. Bogolubovo.Suzdal. Yuriev-Polskoy." N. Voronin 1971

2. "Suzdal "А. Varganov 1972

3. "Suzdal. Guide". Timofeeva Т. 2017

4."Suzdal.Historical guide." Glushkova 2018

5."Monasteries and cathedrals of Suzdal." Publishing houses "White town" and "Printed Settlement" 2018

Online sources:

5.https://www.suzdalonline.ru/architecture/suzdalkremlin/

6.https://www.tourister.ru/world/europe/russia/city/suzdal/placeofinterest/11970

7.https://monasterium.ru/monastyri/monastery/rizopolozhenskiy-zhenskiy-monastyr-goroda-suzdalya/

8.http://museum.ru/N17679

Appendix.

Small pocket guide for foreigners.

The Suzdal Kremlin is situated in the centre of Suzdal not far from the Trade Rows. Every tourist is hurrying to see the blue domes with golden stars towering over the Nativity Cathedral. It is World Heritage Site.

Not far from the Kremlin in the north part of the Suzdal is situated The Deposition of the Robe (Rizopolozhensky) monastery. If you are going to visit this monastery enter there through the Holy Gate. It is the southern wall of the monastery. The gate is a masterpiece of Suzdal architecture.

The Intercession (Pokrovsky) Convent was founded in 1364, but from this initial period, practically nothing was preserved. All that has come down to our days, mainly refers to the first half of the 16th century and a later period. The main temple is a majestic three-domed temple in the design of which the decorations of the white-stone Nativity Cathedral of the Suzdal Kremlin were used.

The Museum of Wooden Architecture keeps numerous examples of old wooden architecture and is considered to be a little corner of classical ancient Russia. The wooden constructions from all over the Vladimir region were brought to the museum. The buildings were actual constructions in which people lived and worked in.

Trading Rows.

Trading Rows and the square became known as Torgovaya Ploschad (Trading Square). This sightseeing was constructed in the empire style and feature galleries with columns and a tall central gate. Originally the rows were filled by merchants' stalls but now they have been changed into separate shops or cafes.

The restaurant "Gostiny Dvor"

The restaurant is the oldest in Suzdal and is always full of tourists. You can try delicious food in clay pots there. The charm of the restaurant is that you are trying dishes in the atmosphere of ancient town in the centre of Suzdal.

Savior-Euthymius Monastery.

The largest monastery in Suzdal is the Savior-Euthymius Monastery, which is occasionally mistaken for the Suzdal Kremlin due to its large fortified walls. The monastery was founded in 1352 by Prince Boris Konstantinovich of Suzdal-Nizhny Novgorod. At those times it was a fortification. It was 12 towers adapted for fighting and storing ammunition. The total length of the walls was about 1400 m. In 1992 the monastery was added to the UNESCO World Heritage as part of the White Monuments of Vladimir and Suzdal.

 

Просмотров работы: 45